Thursday, May 24, 2007

What axe(s) do you grind?



Seeing as I can't access my booty and share with y'all until I buy an external HDD/USB enclosure (damn SATA HDD won't work in my spare PC) I've decided to post an interest thread instead.

So I'm keen to know, what guitars to you shred/fingerpick/strum your lives away on?

For the record, here's a list of my current kit:

- '96 Gibson Les Paul Ace Frehley signature model, in mint condition but pickup needs replacing. Will possibly replace all three humbuckers with a BareKnuckle pickup set when I have the cash (http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/)
- Ibanez SA 260 in perfect condition, original hardware.
- Gretsch SilverJet (unsure of exact model, will take a look if anyone really wants to know). Needs new nut.
- Yamaha RGX312 - requires new bridge + pickups.
- Cool cheap "KARRERA" acoustic guitar with moulded back and internal pickup with 3 band EQ.

I have been through plenty of others, have sold some, broken some and given some away. Of the many other guitars I have owned previously, I miss these the most:

- Ibanez JS1000 Joe Satriani signature guitar. I sold the guitar to register my car (Aussie road tax) but I did keep the photo of me, Satch and the axe when he signed it personally for me.
- An unknown brand 12 string acoustic guitar which I used to practice Dimebag solos on. I loved the feeling of slamming something out on an electric after mastering them on this axe first. It also gave a wicked sound but had to be mic'd (no internal pickup). This one 'went missing' after staying at the singer of my band's house for too long.
- A cheap, superlight, no-name SG copy once owned by Phil from Aussie band Grinspoon that was a treat to play and put out an awesome bluesy tone. Sold for $100 when I needed the cash.

Other gear I currently own:

- Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube Amplifier
- Roland GT6 multi-effects pedal board
- Guyatone MM-X Metal Monster tube driven pedal
- Heaps of cables and tab books and a cheap mic.

Keen to hear about what you're using to get your kicks and play your licks. Leave a comment if you want to share with us.

Please note, the picture above is not of my own collection.... I wish!!!

evilaxe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I play an ultra-cheap Fender Squier, but plug it into a recently bought 30Wt VOX Valvetronix and am satisfied enough. Most of the time I play acoustically on a cheap Ibanez with built-in pickup. Also, I prefer fingers to a pick.

Brendan DeCelis said...

hey fine, thanks for sharing. that setup sounds much better than anything i was using... before i got a credit card :|

i thought we would have had more guitar enthusiasts reply by now, it is a guitar orientated blog after all. anyone else? keen to hear your opinions on any gear* you use too. and feel free to ask me anything about mine.

evilaxe

* by 'gear', i am referring to musical instruments and accessories, not drugs as some of you may have interpreted. although do feel free to discuss your experiences if you feel so compelled. i am all ears...

Syren said...

At the moment I have:
An SG Special (black) with EMG's
A Cheap Washburn that surprisingly
plays really sweet.
A Dean FM Exotica Acoustic

evilaxe said...

Covering all bases like me I see shebreathes :)

Very nice. Nuno Bettencourt endorses Washburn so they must make some decent guitars.

Jastud will be upset you don't have a Les Paul, but I rate the SG, very ROCK! :)

Unknown said...

Washburn Dimebolt 333
Washburn dimeslime 333
epiphone Les Paul Standard

Pedal Digital Delay DD3

blackcrowned87 said...

Guitars:
Washburn Dimebolt 333
Washburn dimeslime 333
epiphone Les Paul Standard

Effects:
Digital Delay DD3
Marshall Jackhammer
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Wah

Amp:
Laney TF300

Anonymous said...

well I feel like poor relative here :)

acoustic
Marris Jumbo 220, cheap but with sweet sound (especcialy for blues) and very comfortable to play

electric
Jolana Diamant (cheap czech copy of Les Paul Standard, but good enough for my guitar skills),

Apm
15 W, only clean sound, made by myself

Other gear:
pedals, all made by myself using tonepad.com schematics

SansAmp GT-2, I used tonepad.com schematics and I obtain really good results (and realy cheap, I paid about 20 $ ). This little beast simulates basic settings of Fender, Mesa Boogie and Marshall amps.

Orange Squeezer, little nice compressor,

Dallas RangeMaster, I found vintage transistor OC71, so I made one. Little hissy but great treble booster, same Like Eric Clapton uses on beano album.

Blues Breaker distortion, good sounding, but after I build SansAmp I don't use it no more.

Commonsound Tremulus Lune: quite good tremolo effect, lot of settings and not hard to built.

Brendan DeCelis said...

Wow Jastud, I'm impressed that you've made most of your gear! I wish I was handier with a soldering iron. You could invent your own sound. The dude from ISP technologies (inventors of HUSH compressors and makers of the ISP Decimator) started out making his own effects and pedals, now he makes a fortune selling them.

And blackcrowned87, you're a regular Dimebag fanatic. Awesome! I've been wanting to get a Dimeslime axe for ages so I can try to recreate his awesome tone and emulate his amazing divebombs. I should have mentioned in my previous comment that Dimebag endorsed Washburn but I think he had a foot in the Dean camp too. Have you seen this before? : http://guitargeek.com/rigview/415/

Anonymous said...

Me art playin a good ole Ibanez Rg470 made in Korea with a crappy lo-trs 2 bridge that i don't like at all, nice frets and comfortable for Gilbertian purposes, a duncan jb in the bridge and a single coil and humbucker dimarzio/ibanez infinity in middle and neck positions.
This axe goes to a big muff pedal and then to a morley bad horsie wah...through a crappy peavey transtube 15w amp (that isn't workin too good these days) and at times i connect a little 15w bass amp too just for the fun of having a mini stack :p
I'll get me three rio grande pickups soon and buy a schecter c1 classic which comes default with duncans 59 and jb, that i'll replace with the texan pickups.
Next month i'll buy an ibanez ts808 , electro harmonix flanger and a boss dd3 and i'll be done in the effects field.
GREAT site dude!
Thanks!